Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sleepy Sunday

So yesterday was quite busy. Met up with Kyle in Princeton, walked around. Got my favorite treats from Thomas Sweet. Lunch/Dinner at Applebee's. Went to Old Navy and Target to buy some new jeans. Got home at around 10:30. At 11:30, Ben woke me up from a slumber to tell me that he had forgotten to email me with the details of his party in the city. So I went back in to Manhattan at midnight and met up with him and coworkers by 12:30. Drank/hung out until 3:00am. Then most of us dispersed. Ben, his wife, Patrick and I went to a diner at 33rd and 9th. As an odd coincidence, it was the same diner that Naomi and I went to on our first date, and I had never been back there since.

Woke up this morning late (10:30), and been doing some web surfing, email until now.

Working backwards, on Friday I installed Suse on a VMWare session and successfully got Dagent to run. Debugged a really nasty problem with the generic routines to read stdout and stderr when running a subprocess. Turns out there was a problem with handling SIGCHLD, and it only occurred when the process life was VERY short. Basically it only happened with my routine that reads the name of the Operating System, which is why it nailed me when I ported to Suse. As a result of the bug, output was being arbitrarily truncated about 1 in 15 times. Did I mention I hate race conditions?

Perhaps will do some more couch shopping this afternoon. Also, I would really like to get over to Home Depot and buy the rest of the mini-blinds I need for the remaining windows. The new ones in the kitchen look so good that I have decided to shell out the cash and do the other windows. Will also buy the cheapest set of drill bits I can find, so I don't have to torque the screws in by hand.