Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

Another fun day at the office. Spent large portion of day trying to organize the GUI work that is upcoming. Upgraded the hard drive in my PC and demonstrated that with 2 GB of RAM and VMWare I can run a full instance of both the manager and an agent (with a full Oracle database) on a single workstation. That would suggest that if we buy the RAM then every developer can have his/her own sandbox.

I'm now responsible for filling out the vacation sheet for the development team. Shamoun was against me having people email me when they take time off, under the notion that I will be able to just keep track. Unfortunately, this won't tell me why people are out of the office and people aren't really in the habit of informing me (vacation? sick? personal day?). Also there's an accountability issue. At least if I demand that people send me an email when they are out I have some record to correlate the tabulation against (so it isn't my word against the employee's).

Got home around 8:30. House is on tonight. Wohoo.

Oh yeah, and it's Valentine's day. Can't help but not notice that I am spending it alone (and not because on my walk home I noticed how busy Victoria's Secret was for a Tuesday night).

I should have called Grandma today but I didn't. Will have to call her tomorrow. It's Dad's birthday.

Peter spent a good portion of the day trying to tar -xvf a file on his Solaris box. I am concerned. Please tell me I didn't hire Chris Riley all over again...

I should email Paul tomorrow and make sure he didn't have any trouble with the kernel. I guess no news is good news but it wouldn't hurt to make sure there isn't anything he needs.