Friday, August 4, 2006

Guilt by Association

So a few days ago I got stuck onto this project that had fallen behind schedule. It is set to be feature complete and enter testing on Tuesday. I did a 13 hour day on Wednesday, a 11 hour day on Thursday and a ten our day today.

The entire project slipped today because of the two key developers working on the project.

One screwed up the parameter parsing Thursday night, effectively breaking the build. He checked in changes that he never even tried. When I kept pointing out that the code was broken, he would make a change, claim it was fixed, and then when I would try it the code would continue to be broken in the exact same way. He wouldn't do an ounce of testing and left it on me to point out to him that he hadn't fixed the problem (this happened four times today).

The other spent until 2:00 in the afternoon debugging a crash in the manager that I resolved in about five minutes once I realized that is what he had been stuck on all morning.

Both of them committed the cardinal sin of checking code into the repository that didn't even compile.

Because I couldn't get any of my work items done today, now I have to work on Saturday. Except the bugs from today still aren't fixed, so before I can start on my own work items I have to debug the crap they were supposed to have done today and make it work. One of the developers is supposed to come in on Sunday, but if he doesn't get it working then we're going to be screwed on Monday. I can't take the risk of having him fuck it up on Sunday if the alternative is me doing it myself tomorrow.

I'm not happy. In fact, I lost my temper in front of Dan on the way to the subway tonight, something which I now regret. He's taking the stance that I should email my boss about the situation tonight, not work this weekend, and let the whole thing explode on Monday. The problem is I'm on the hook now because I was brought in on Tuesday to "make this happen". If it doesn't work then it will reflect poorly on me.