Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Claritin and Meth

In the last few months it has become more difficult to buy Claritin-D for my allergies, something which I consume like aspirin. In particular, Rite-Aid has it behind the counter and had a sign claiming there was a federal law demanding that consumers provide a drivers license (which they proceed to enter the information into a database). I thought this was interesting, since nobody at Walgreens or Eckerd or even Foodtown ever asks to see photo ID to buy allergy medication. If this is a federal law, how come Rite-Aid collects my information and other major pharmacies do not have such a requirement (we're not talking about the local Mom and Pop pharmacy down the street not bothering to ask for ID).

Turns up there is indeed a federal law restricting the distribution of Pseudoephedrine (the Combat Methamphetamine Act of 2006) which goes into effect on September 30th 2006. Interesting that RiteAid decided to start enforcing a law months before it went into effect. Turns up it got stuck into the Patriot Act.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/news/methamphetamine.htm

What the hell does stopping meth have to do with stopping terrorism? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying drugs are a good thing, but it just pisses me off when Congress sticks riders into a bill that have nothing to do with the bill in the first place. You know, like combining a bill raising the minimum wage and eliminating the estate tax.

On the flip side, tonight I learned all about manufacturing techniques for methamphetamine. Maybe I'll quit my job and become a drug dealer. Open myself up a little lab in Queens. Got to love the Internet (and Wikipedia in particular)!