Sunday, January 28, 2007

Goofy Dork Camaraderie

In Philly. Vikki and I went out to the Helium Comedy Club last night with her friends Jayme and Jeremy. The act was pretty funny. Got Gelato afterward, which brings back fond memories of Venice.

Spent a good portion of yesterday afternoon in the Last Drop trying to get MythTV to compile under OS X. It would appear that my problem lies in how MythTV figures out what type of CPU my system has. While MythTV has been running under OS X, even the Intel version for some time, I was surprised to see it just though I had a basic x86 CPU.

Then I looked at the output of the OS X /usr/bin/hostinfo tool:

devin-heitmuellers-computer-2:~/mythtv/src/mythtv devinheitmueller$ /usr/bin/hostinfo
Mach kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.3: Wed Oct 18 21:57:10 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.15.4.obj~4/RELEASE_I386
Kernel configured for up to 2 processors.
2 processors are physically available.
2 processors are logically available.
Processor type: i486 (Intel 80486)
Processors active: 0 1
Primary memory available: 512.00 megabytes
Default processor set: 49 tasks, 160 threads, 2 processors
Load average: 0.19, Mach factor: 1.79


My best guess is that Apple hasn't added support to OS X the CPU identifier for the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU in my new MacBook.

For some reason I found myself explaining my discovery to Vikki, which attracted the attention of some other Mac user in the coffee house to come over and take a look. He was asking if I run Parallels or something else that might throw it off. At this point Vikki noted that I was having a "Computer Bonding moment". After we left the coffee house, she later re-characterized it as "goofy dork camaraderie".