Monday, August 20, 2007

The weekend, strange dreams, and MythTV on OS X

Left work a bit early on Friday so I could go to Greg's bachelor party in New Jersey. Dinner at Pete and Elda's in Neptune, and ended up at a bar in Belmar (the place that used to be Pat's Tavern). Hung out with Kyle on Saturday and then caught the train to Philly from New Brunswick. Helped Vikki study for her comprehensive exams on Sunday.

Despite leaving early on Friday and not working at all on Saturday, I clocked 62 hours at work last week (8+15+12+12+8+7). Things are starting to look under control with my project but there's still a long way to go.

I had this dream last night that I was at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris trying to find the original version of Monet's The Bridge at Argenteuil, of which I have a copy in my living room. It's weird though, because it wasn't really a dream so much as a reliving of an experience I had in real life. Later in the morning I woke up from a dream where I was giving a talk to an audience about installing SQL Server using Clarity. Also weird.

A few months ago I went through the agonizing process of trying to get MythTV installed on OS X. I was having a problem relating to symlinks that none of the other MythTV/OSX developers were having (despite me having a brand new OS install on my laptop). I spent a few weekends working on it in various coffee shops in Philadelphia and never figured out what it was and eventually gave up.

This morning I was vindicated. One of the guys who did a bunch of the work to get MythTV running on OSX ran into the same problem and reported it to the mailing list:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/284578

I'm not crazy after all (or at least this issue does not indicate such)...