Thursday, October 25, 2007

Stop, panic, hang, rinse repeat

So in the last 24 hours:


  • Repeatedly locked up my Windows 2000 workstation when trying to use my Hauppauge HVR-950
  • Caused multiple kernel panics in OS X when trying to do captures using Apple's USB Debug kit
  • Caused an NT Stop message to occur whenever trying to install Windows XP onto Dan's old computer.


  • Bear in mind that I haven't actually written a line of kernel code yet. I was just trying to get an environment working where the card was supported so I could do wire captures.

    On the upside, I upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10 on my Dell, and besides a slow download of the media it couldn't have gone better. Notably the new release now properly detects that my Dell 17" flat panel supports 1280x1024 (it only listed 1024x768 in 7.04), as well as the PCI info being properly filled out for pretty much all the devices in the Hardware page (suggesting Dell is being more proactive in putting their hardware into the public database). On a sidenote, the amount of time I spent in front of the computer this week has me considering finally buying myself a bigger screen for home use instead of using the 17" screen that is on loan from work.

    I swear though that if I had any idea I was going to have this much trouble with my old hardware, I would have just bought a second Dell off the shelf...