Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday

Victoria came out to New York Friday night. We had a nice lunch, picked up some new sneakers (animal free!), and took a walk through Little Italy. I like Spring...

Got some work done. Trying to get caught up on some stuff that I haven't been able to find a block of time to concentrate on when people aren't interrupting me. Interruptions are part of my job, but it does make it hard to focus sometimes.

Also cleaned up some issues with my HVR-950 driver. Installed the latest MythTV packages for Ubuntu today and did some testing. Works pretty good, but I think there's a locking issue in my driver when going between analog and digital mode. Also, the infrared receiver doesn't work yet, so I can't use my remote control. I started to look at the IR code, but it looks like the device doesn't say it has an IR receiver like other Hauppauge products (there's usually a field in the EEPROM). Will hopefully figure it out over the next few nights this week... There's also some issue with ATSC scanning where the scanning itself works fine but the signal strength and SNR are not reported properly in the MythTV GUI.

I also discovered that apparently Nvidia dropped support for XvMC starting in their GeForce 8xxx series. So with no MPEG2 hardware acceleration during decoding, the CPU is pretty heavily taxed rendering 1080i HDTV which is annoying.

I'm thinking about doing some work on Kaffeine now. It's really surprising that I couldn't find a test application that supports both viewing a stream *and* ATSC tuning. People use Kaffeine with DVB but it doesn't support ATSC, or they use run azap from the command line and then run mplayer to view the stream.