Wednesday, May 28, 2008

HVR-950 on Windows

Couldn't sleep, so at 4am I found myself in my pajamas eating Ben and Jerry's in front of the computer while reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows XP on my test PC. Got all the drivers installed (Ethernet, Intel chipset, video, sound).

I'm trying to get the HVR-950's remote control support working under Linux, so I wanted to do a usbsnoop under Windows. This has proven to be a greater challenge than expected (read my failed attempt from Saturday). This time I got a retail build of Windows installed and working as expected, downloaded and installed the latest drivers and WinTV from Hauppauge, and now WinTV crashes at startup. I was able to run it exactly one time to do the ATSC channel scan, and now it crashes whenever I start the application.

If I can't even get it to work on Windows XP SP2 with a completely fresh OS install, that is saying something.

Running Windows Update now, which means I'm installing SP3. Maybe WinTV has some undocumented incompatibility that gets fixed with a newer version of Windows.

To make matters worse, it's an Elgato EyeTV Hybrid and not actually an HVR-950, so it's not like I can call Hauppauge for tech support since it's not supported. It was working before i rebuilt the PC, so I know it should work fine.

Argh.