Sunday, July 27, 2008

Em28xx analog device merge

Today Mauro and Douglas merged a bunch of analog device support from Markus's em28xx tree:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/572c09c6861b

It's hard for me not to be conflicted about this decision. On one hand, I want to see as much device support as possible get into the mainline kernel. On the other hand, it continues to make worse the problem about duplicated functionality within the two em28xx trees. Markus put alot of hard work into making those devices work by testing them himself or working with people all over the world who have the devices.

While it is certainly permissible under the GPL to do what they did, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth for lack of a better analogy.

I wish there was a better way for the two groups to work together. I appealed to Markus again last week to see if we could find some middle ground, and let's just say it didn't go well at all.