Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dell is pretty annoying

Dell is now charging $150 additional for Windows XP on their Dell systems. Yes, $150 *more* than if you use the newer supposedly better Windows Vista.



Remember when the OEM version of Windows XP represented around $50 of the cost of a system?

Also, they got rid of the ability to buy an Ubuntu PC without a monitor. So for those of you who might already have a monitor kicking around, while you can get a cheap Windows PC for $279, you can't get the Ubuntu system for less than $429 (and you're stuck with a monitor you don't need).

I was thinking about buying a new PC and now I'm going to have to go with a different vendor since I won't pay for a monitor that I don't need. I guess I could buy an XP system for $279 and install Ubuntu, but why the hell would I want to give Microsoft money?

I've always been pretty supportive of Dell, but I think perhaps they've lost their minds...