Monday, December 8, 2008

Pinnacle Ultimate 808e: saa7136...

Pinnacle came through again this morning and provided me with more than 500 pages of documentation on the NXP saa7136. Spent most of the evening reading. Came up with this basic plan:
  1. bootstrap i2c
  2. get em2882 to identify saa7136
  3. Dump version registers to dmesg
  4. Enable CVBS capture mode
I know some of you might be thinking "what about everything else!?", but bear in mind that the above list demonstrates the core communications to the chip are working. From there I can flesh out the functionality. Audio support, the video scalar, quality tuning adjustments, mxl5005s tuner support - all those build on top of the above.

Fortunately, the device has most of the registers pre-configured for reasonable defaults, so I don't need to setup every register before I start seeing video...

I'm looking at the commitments on my calendar, and am wondering when I'm going to have time to work on this. December is such a busy month...