Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ah, users....

The last couple of nights I had been working on an EVGA inDtube ATSC tuner that a user had very kindly gone through the effort to send me. He had already opened the unit and sent me photographs before he mailed it.

I had expected it to be pretty quick to bring up the board - setup the em2882 device profile, setup the GPIOs, and attach to the s5h1409 after figuring out the device config.

I had successfully gotten the ATSC support working with the s5h1409, but for some reason I couldn't get the tvp5150 to respond to i2c commands.

Also, I kept hitting a weird intermittent case where *nothing* would answer on i2c when plugging the device in, even the eeprom. I thought perhaps a bug had been introduced in the em28xx framework and it just happened to manifest itself in a nasty way on this hardware design due to something such as timing.

Finally, I decided perhaps I would get out my scope and see if I could trace out the tvp5150 reset pin (thinking I had a GPIO issue). I put on my visor, and what does a physical inspection of the board reveal?



Yup, the user damaged the board, presumably when he pried it open with a screwdriver.