Saturday, April 4, 2009

Distractions and focus...

I'm in Philly this weekend. We are doing a "trapeze birthday party" later this afternoon for Victoria.

I spent the last couple of nights debugging xc5000 issues. I am hoping to finally get the tree published which has a series of fixes, including properly supporting putting the tuner to sleep when not in use, as well as a 10x improvement in tuning. I've also got a change where the xc5000 notifies the bridge when it's going to do firmware download, giving the bridge an opportunity to change the i2c clock value to a higher speed (and put it back when the download is completed).

I think I finally figured out why there is an intermittent tuning failure on the hvr-950q. Using the logic analyzer, I noticed some garbage bytes being dumped onto the i2c bus after the firmware load. Strangely enough, these bytes were not showing up in my kernel logging of i2c messages. It would appear that the usb-snd-audio driver is dumping arbitrary usb requests onto the interface, and they happen to be interpreted as i2c commands by the au0828 bridge. I'll have to trace down the exact cause for it sending data to the wrong interface, but at least I know what is going on now.

As a result of some emails on the mailing list yesterday regarding the continued annoyance over the em28xx situation, I volunteered to get the Terratec device to work if the guy mailed me the hardware. I spent a few nights back in December trying to get one such device working remotely, but I ran into an issue and couldn't resolve the problem. Presumably, once I have the hardware in my possession I should be able to get it up and running in a few hours.

I also started some discussion with lamothe about getting the ATSC scanning working in MeTV. Again, it shouldn't be too hard. However, if I do get it working, then I might finally have an app I am willing to recommend to ATSC users (Kaffeine still has streaming problems I haven't been able to nail down).

I haven't nailed down the problem Robert brought up with the au0828's isoc handling for analog video. I spent an entire afternoon on it two Sundays ago, and it's more complicated than I originally thought.

It's so easy to get distracted...