Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday

Been a pretty busy week. Had a project that kept me late at work on Monday and Tuesday. Plugging away at various tuners (see http://kernellabs.com/blog for more info).

After banging my head for several nights trying to figure out why Amy's laptop wouldn't boot off the hard drive (even though I reset the BIOS, was able to successfully install Windows XP, I zeroed the hard drive with dd, and various other rescue disk type attempts), I finally yanked the hard drive out of another laptop, stuck it into her system and it booted up successfully. In other words, despite the hard drive appearing fine in the eyes of XP, the BIOS seems to think it's toast.

I'll pickup the cheapest drive I can find at Best Buy tomorrow and do the XP install when I'm in Philadelphia over the weekend.