Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Busy busy busy with the new job....

Figured it might be worthwhile to talk about the new job for a bit. For those who didn't know, I started working at Hauppauge Computer Works about six weeks ago. The product I work on is called the MediaMVP-HD:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_mediamvp-hd.html

It's a pretty neat little box. Linux based, supports HD playback, and only sucks up 5 watts. Has lots of potential as a frontend for a certain home theater solution. They even let me write the start of a "Developer's FAQ" which is publicly posted on their support site.

As a result though, I've been *really* busy. Hence why there haven't been any recent LinuxTV contributions, nor have I been lurking in the #linuxtv or #v4l IRC channels. I still watch the linux-media mailing list, but generally speaking I've been pretty quiet.

If it's any consolation though, I'm not just ignoring LinuxTV: I haven't read Gizmodo, Engadget, or Slashdot in weeks, and my Google Reader has 1000+ articles in it.

But don't think that my going to work for Hauppauge means I'm abandoning LinuxTV. On the contrary - having another Linux evangelist working for a major tuner manufacturer is definitely a good thing for the community. Just wait and see what I've got up my sleeve... ;-)

But yeah, doing a wedding, a honeymoon, a job change, and a move in the same six week period turned up to be quite a challenge.