Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Upcoming Interviews

Ok, so I've got a technical call with Google on Thursday night and a second interview with GridApp on Friday.

First the Google interview. It's a phone interview, estimated to last between 45 minutes and an hour:

I was told to expect three parts
* An algorithms portion (presumably this is to see if I know how an AVL balanced tree works)
* A "brain teaser". I don't know what to expect here other than it being something along the lines of what they had in their "G-CAT" employment test.
* A "coding question". I'm not sure how this will work unless he plans to email me the problem. It's kind of hard to answer stuff relating to code during a phone interview.

If I pass the technical interview, my application goes to a hiring committee. If they decide to proceed then I will go to the New York office for a second interview. There will be between three and six interviewers, and alot of diagramming stuff out on a white board.

If I pass the second interview, my application goes to a second hiring committee. If they like me than supposedly they would make me an offer.

I got the email today with the name of the interviewer for the phone call. Ran him through Google (yes, I see the irony), and I'm really hoping he isn't the guy who helped author the C++ standard. I'm going to get steam rolled.

Now the for the GridApp interview. It's much less formal.

I show up at 1:00. I'm going to meet with the CTO (Chief Technical Officer) and do a couple of other interviews. If that goes well then I will take a "test", which will demonstrate that I can do network programming in C++. Of course I don't really C++, so let's just say this is going to be interesting. I've been studying for about a week. I guess they will make me an offer if they like me.

I should have just taken the job at Motorola developing Voice-Over-IP for cable modems. At least then I would feel like I have some idea what the hell I am doing....

It's funny because I'm usually pretty confident about my abilities. I guess perhaps it's just that I'm applying for jobs where I am clearly not qualified.