Friday, February 17, 2006

Devin does the Checkout girl

(no, not like that. Get your mind out of the gutter)

So I had this dream:

I was working in a food store as the checkout clerk. Except it is not a modern food store with a conveyour belt and a laser scanner. But rather a 1980's style K-Mart where you have tabletops and a cash register where you have to type in prices (which I have absolutely no training in). And there is no backspace key. And the customers are impatient; the line of them is growing. And they are bringing stuff over already in brown paper bags, so I am getting confused with what I have already rung up. And then the customer hands over a loaf of bread, and I'm trying to figure out how the electronic scale works and end up adding $1400.00 to the bill (which they happen to notice is not correct). I hit a button labeled "assess price", which I thought was the "=" key and a big red light starts to flash over my head so the manager has to come over.

So being a failure as the checkout clerk, I get moved to a department where it is my job to fold people's clean laundry. Except, as in real life, I can't really fold laundry. Every article of clothing I have ever folded ends up looking like crap, which is why I pay for wash-dry-fold service. And the customers are complaining about the quality of my folding. And they have me trying to cram large piles of folded clothes into a tiny suitcase.

And then I woke up.

Ick.