Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Still Going.....

Continuing to make progress on the project. Everybody in tech seems to have recognized the importance of what is going on and working later than usual. Arrived 9am. Left 10:45pm.

It was made official today that the company rock climbing excursion has been postponed until after this thing is done.

Naomi called me tonight when I was at the office. She was having problems getting her laptop to work on the wireless LAN setup by the hotel she was staying at (she's in Mass for a job interview). I did my best to help her out, (ipconfig, ping, traceroute, checked DNS, proxy settings), but I simply couldn't get it to work. I simply ran out of stuff to try. It's not like she has a protocol analyzer installed.

So then she started complaining about how she never would have dragged the laptop along if she had known the wireless wouldn't work, and I really felt like she was inferring it was my fault that it didn't work because I bought her the laptop. So at this point I had been at work for about thirteen hours, and it was the end of the day, and I was cranky because I was hungry and tired. So I sarcastically told her that the laptop came with a money-back guarantee (bearing in mind that I gave it to her as a gift and it didn't cost her anything). Yes, I realize that it was a juvenile thing to say. So I don't know if she understood what I was getting at because she said, "I don't want your money, I just want my laptop to work". By this point I'm seething, thinking "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU THINK I GIVE WOULD YOU MONEY FOR A LAPTOP THAT I PAID FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE?" And then she says, "and I'm not paying for it in sexual favors either." To which I replied, "I didn't ask"

After reading the last two paragraphs, I think perhaps I should have put it under a separate journal entry labeled, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I don't know why I got so bent out of shape about the whole thing. I just feel like she didn't call to see how I was doing -- she called because her computer was broken, and when I couldn't fix it she made me feel like it was my fault. Or she called because her boyfriend didn't call her tonight, and "she doesn't want to call him every night because she doesn't want to appear needy".

I should just go to bed.