Monday, March 26, 2007

Stove ablaze

You know how some stoves have a drawer underneath for storing pots and stuff? Well, it turns up that on some gas stoves that's actually a broiler.

I discovered this last night when I used the oven in my apartment for the first time since I moved in. Apparently, the broiler drawer contained some pots, and the manuals/documentation for the stove.

A gallon of water later, no damage other than an apartment full of smoke. At least I know the smoke detector works. It works very well.

At least I didn't have to call the fire department. When I was growing up, my father used to say none of us were allowed to get hurt because "We don't call first aid..." Since he was a volunteer firefighter, he knew what humiliation he would face by having his home address come across the radio.