Sunday, May 6, 2007

Sunday

Met up with Vikki on Friday night in Philadelphia. Picked up her new car and drove to New Jersey on Saturday. Played Scrabble in Shark River Park. Met up with Lauren and Julie for ice cream. Talked a while.

Came back to New York today. Spent most of the day in the office working on the crashes I am seeing with Perl on Win32. It looks like the DBD::ADO module doesn't clean up COM properly in some cases. In fact, it doesn't look like it cleans it up properly in any case, but this normally doesn't cause a visible problem.

Also found out that Win32::Registry is not threadsafe. There is a static variable in the XS module that holds state info.

The intermittent nature of these crashes has prompted me to look at making the way I embed Perl more resilient to such problems. This should hopefully mitigate these issues even if I can't isolate good fixes for them.

I have a headache.