Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Thursday

Went to the Tribeca Film Festival with Carter, but didn't get into any of the movies. Figures.

After debugging in the background over several days and about a dozen emails back and forth with tech support, the allocation conflict I have been trying to isolate turned out to be a bug in BoundsChecker where it couldn't tell the difference between

char *foo = new char [num_bytes];

versus

char *foo = new (std::nothrow) char [num_bytes];

It's unfortunate how they weren't very helpful in tracking down the issue and I essentially had to do all the work myself. It's a bitch to try to figure out why a commercial product is misbehaving because you can't just look at the source code.

I am hoping they can give me a fix. The downside is that this means the heap corruption I was trying to track down was a false positive. Argh. Still not making headway fast enough on the bug in Perl that is crashing my win32 process either.