Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Video4Linux hacking

Left work early to pick up the print of Central Park that I had framed (Christmas present from Mom). Turned out really good. Planning on hanging it in the hallway next to the front door.

Started looking at what would be required to get the HVR-950 ATSC support working under Linux. Started porting the em28xx-dvb.c from mrec's repository to the mainline (it's GPL), which is proving to be a considerable challenge for the following reasons:

  • He has a totally different implementation of the xc3028 tuner driver
  • He added all sorts of hooks to the core V4L DVB API which were never accepted in the mainline (or the community decided to implement the same functionality in a different way)
  • I don't have any real experience with the DVB API in general
  • I am spoiled by my monitor at work that is big enough to let me see fifty lines from four or five files at the same time (I have a 17" at home which makes this impractical).

The upside is that from the cx88-dvb driver, I can pretty much do a side-by-side comparison of the structure and port em28xx-dvb.c accordingly. I just have to study the cx88 driver a bit more before I try to jump in again. Perhaps doing a diagram of the structure of the driver will help me understand the flow better....

Drinking some sleepytime tea now. May read some more of Xenocide and try to get to bed at a reasonable hour.