Monday, June 23, 2008

Plugging along...

Learned a bit today about thread stack sizes on Linux. Fixed my daemon so it's VSZ went from 343 MB down to 8MB. It turns up if you don't explicitly set the thread stack size in your code, it uses the value in "ulimit -s", which on 32-bit Linux is 10MB and on 64-bit Linux is 32MB. Of course, my thread stacks only needed to be around 64 **KB**.

It now looks much better in top. :-)

Submitted my patch to Kaffeine for ATSC support. It hasn't shown up on the kaffeine-devel mailing list, which makes me wonder if it's some sort of delay or whether the message disappeared into the ether.

Wrote another patch for the Pointnix Intra-Oral camera tonight based on the dmesg output sent over the weekend. It turns up the device appears to have an saa7113 on the i2c bus, and the guy I was working with was using the Terratec XP Prodigy driver which is set to use a tvp5150 decoder instead. Long story short, it might now start to "just work". He confirmed that the code for the snapshot button is working, so if I can get the device to detect properly and setup the write decoder, I should be home free.

Went out and got some Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Yum. Will probably watch an episode of the first season of The Incredible Hulk (in an attempt to thwart my insomnia) and then go to bed.