Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dumping Yahoo web hosting

So I logged in to my Yahoo! Geocities account a few days ago, and was shown this fine message:

Important Announcement

At the beginning of October 2008, to continue to provide you the best web hosting service possible, we will no longer offer GeoCities Pro. All GeoCities Pro customers will be moved to our more powerful Yahoo! Web Hosting Starter plan, with a new monthly fee of $12.95.

With this change, you will not experience any disruption in your service, and you'll also gain great features, including our easiest-to-use site building tool and 24-hour phone support. After you switch to Web Hosting, you'll simply sign in to your new Web Hosting Control Panel much like you signed in here today.

Well gee, that's awfully nice of you, taking the service that I'm perfectly happy with and giving me features I don't need and raising my price by 50% (I previously paid $8.95/month). What's the difference between what I have now and what I'm getting? Who the hell cares? I'm fine with the features I had and they're raising the price by 4 bucks a month.

So, I initiated a domain transfer through GoDaddy and Charles was kind enough to set me up with some space on his server (since I have about 10MB of content and average about 10 hits a month). That will change my $8.95/month to $6.99/year.

The transfer went through today, but Yahoo waited until the last minute to approve the transfer (the transfer takes place automatically after five days unless the previous registrar objects). To GoDaddy's credit, they did have a very well written document describing how to transfer from Yahoo, even walking you through Yahoo's user interface with the steps necessary to get the required information.

For those of you who might be asking "why the hell did you use Yahoo in the first place?", the answer is pretty simple. I had a Geocities page since 1998, and when I decided I wanted to own "devinheitmueller.com", I was lazy and just clicked the "Upgrade me to paid service" button on Yahoo's website (who had bought Geocities.com). That way I didn't have to deal with moving all the content over to a different host.