Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Perspective

I woke up this morning and continued to be bothered about the board killing my ventilation initiative last night. I had spent hours analyzing the problem, researching, and coming up with possible courses of action. People have complained repeatedly about the issue at the last two shareholder meetings. To see it unanimously killed in sixty seconds seemed unjust - as though the board was out-of-touch with the problems that bothered people. They said "It's not a priority."

I ran into the building's managing agent in the lobby on my way out the door this morning, and he said to me "So now you can see the hard decisions that have to be made by a board." I asked him which decision he was referring to, and he started talking about two decisions made last night regarding people's mortgages and lines of credit. He shared an anecdote about a shareholder in another building whose apartment was in foreclosure and the board had to deny the sale to his perspective buyer.

Kind of puts things in perspective. While the logistical problems with the building are important to me, it doesn't compare to the financial issues that can affect the livelihood of the residents.

On the other hand, if the board doesn't care about the mechanical issues, and I don't know anything about finance, then perhaps I don't have anything to offer and don't belong there at all.