Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween shopping and MacBook audio on Intrepid

I went shopping for my and Victoria's halloween costume after work. There was a line about a block long to get into the costume shop. Took me an hour to get in and out of there. The price I pay for waiting until the last minute I guess...

Jury duty tomorrow. Fun fun. I have to be there at 8:45. Ugh.

I installed the latest Ubuntu Intrepid updates in the hopes that it would fix my MacBook audio (all I was getting before was static). After it didn't help at all, I played around with the mixer settings and discovered that the PCM output was set to 0%. I turned it up and all of a sudden I had sound again. Yay.

Kaffeine is getting annoying. There is some bug where if the ATSC signal level falls too low even for a couple of seconds, the audio stops working entirely until you change channels (the audio doesn't come back even after the signal quality reaches an acceptable level again). If I'm actually going to try to use Kaffeine for television watching, I'm going to have to do several fixes
  • Add code to disable the screen saver in fullscreen playback mode
  • Figure out why the audio keeps cutting out
  • Get the HVR-950 remote control working
  • Look at the vertical sync problem that seems to occur with my monitor (it's probably some issue with XVideo playback and the Nvidia binary driver)

Talked to the guys from Pinnacle this morning. They're sending me hardware for the Ultimate 808e device, and going to work on getting me access to the datasheets. Yay.