Saturday, July 22, 2006

Procrastination

Back at the office. Got here at 1:00pm. Talked to Peter for quite some time about a variety of non-work related topics (which was good). Got some work done. Left at 5:00 to get a haircut at Astor Place.

On the way back I got caught in the rain and ducked into Strand Books on 12th Street. Strand Books is like the Barnes and Noble of used books. It has multiple floors and claims to have 18 miles of books. I had been looking for a copy of "Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age" since Bob Miller from church recommended it to me in 2001. It's been out of print for years, but I found it there for $13.00. Also picked up a copy of "Mythical Man Month" for $6.50 and "Where wizards stay up late" for $6.00.

Having difficulty getting the motivation to work. It's a crappy Saturday afternoon, so it's not like I can blame it on wanting to play outside. Would have rather gone to the HOPE Conference today, or visited the family, or hung out with Vikki. Dan invited me to go with him to Atlantic City today. But alas, I am here at work.

Peter gave me a bunch of Axis cameras yesterday that he got from a consulting gig a few years ago. I have wanted to play with one since around 2000 when I first heard about them, but could never justify the cost (around $500.00 each). Now I have seven of them (three standalone and four that run off a single concentrator). Looking forward to playing with them, since they run on an embedded Linux and the kernel source is GPL.