Monday, September 22, 2008

Pinnacle i2c

Didn't get home from work until after 8pm. :-(

In an effort to isolate the last remaining problem with my Pinnacle 801e, I went probing around for the i2c bus. It turns up the dib0700 has two separate i2c busses, one for the EEPROM, and one for the demodulator, so I couldn't just hook onto the eeprom as Steven Toth had suggested. From the CX25843 datasheet, I located the i2c pins (15/16) and used a meter to poke around the rest of the board to find somewhere easier to latch onto.

0.5mm is pretty damn small. It's especially annoying when you're trying to hold a probe against a pin on one side of the PCB while probing around the reverse side.

Found a pair of resistors near the s5h1411 where they're brought out. So now I just need to build a cheapi2c device and find someone with an iron that can do SMT. I've said this before, I miss not having a hardware lab. :-)

Assuming I can get that working, I should be able to determine pretty quickly whether the xc5000 is at fault or if it's the dib0700 not sending the right request.