Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pinnacle rocks!

So I've decided: Pinnacle is awesome.

Doug Lung introduced me to the Senior Product Manager for the Pinnacle PCTV product line. After extending them an invitation to improve the Linux support for their products (I already added support for the Pinnacle 800e and 801e without them), they did the following:
  • Sent me a free hardware sample of the new Pinnacle PCTV HD Mini (80e)
  • Assigned an engineer to answer my technical questions (which has already saved me hours that would have been spent reverse engineering)
  • Introduced me to the CEO of Empia, who has provided me with full datasheets for the em2874 for the express purpose of writing a GPL'd Linux driver.
  • Connected me with a contact at Micronas, who provided me with the full drx3933j datasheets and the source code to their reference driver. They even emphasized the need to Micronas for the firmware to be freely redistributable so it can be bundled with the Linux distros.
Complete datasheets including the register maps, reference driver code, freely redistributable microcode, not having to personally shell out the cash to buy the tuner. I really don't think there is more that I could have asked for.